This deliciousness is a family heirloom dish! We make this super easy flan caramel almost every time the kids are home for dinner and it doesn't last long. Maybe a couple of hours, by the following morning it's all gone. Well, truth is that we eat if for breakfast too :) after all it has eggs and milk so it is like eating breakfast!
It's so easy that almost doesn't need a recipe but here it goes:
6 whole eggs (we like to use free range chickens eggs)
2 cans of condensed milk
2 cups of milk (we use the same empty cans of condensed milk for measuring)
1 cup of sugar (for the caramel)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the 6 whole eggs, the contents of the two cans of condensed milk and the two cups of milk in a blender. Blend at medium for 3 minutes.
- Prepare a caramel by melting in a pan 1 cup of white sugar until is golden brown.
- Add the melted caramel to a mold and add the blended mixture on top.
- Add a cup of water to another oven safe container in order to make a double boiler or bain-marie. We use a rectangular metal container, add the water and place the flan mold in it and it works perfectly. Cover the mold with aluminum foil .
- Bake for 1 hour and 1/2.
- Remove and let it cool off before placing it in the fridge.
Serve cold with dulce de leche and or creme chantilly/whipped cream. Yumm!!